If you cannot get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the 9th Congressional District of Indiana can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies.

  • Eligibility for Assistance
  • What You Can Expect
    • Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene to ask questions, find solutions, or just cut through the bureaucratic red tape. Your Congressional District staff will do their best to ensure a fair and timely review of your case takes place. As we work to address your concerns, please bear in mind that we cannot force an agency to expedite your case or to act in your favor. Additionally, by law, we cannot become involved in court cases or any legal matter.
  • Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Casework
    • What is a Privacy Release Form and why is it required?
      • Under the Privacy Act of 1974, federal agencies require that a Member of Congress to have a written and signed letter before intervening on a constituent’s behalf. A “Privacy Release Form” (PRF) allows us to make a congressional inquiry to a federal agency. The form must be signed by the person directly affected, and it must contain all pertinent information including Full Name, Address, Contact Information, Full Social Security Number, Any Number Associated with the Case/Claim. It is also important to note that, if we do not receive a PRF (or if it does not contain all necessary information), we may not be able to begin the casework process for you.
    • Is the Privacy Release Form only required by Representative Hollingsworth?
      • No. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that all Members of Congress have a constituent’s written permission before intervening with a federal agency on their behalf.
    • What will Representative Hollingsworth be able to do after I complete and sign the PRF?
      • Your congressional office will initiate an inquiry with the relevant federal agency and provide all supporting documentation, if appropriate. We will do our best to facilitate the casework process, and ensure a fair and timely review of your case.
    • Do I need to provide the details of my situation on the PRF? Does the federal agency see my PRF?
      • The more information you can provide in explaining your problem and your request, the better positioned the agency will be to address your concerns. You have the option of providing the details of your case on the PRD (there is a space on the form where you can describe your issue and request assistance), or you can attach to the PRF a letter that details your concerns. Because the details of your case are so important to identifying the issue and helping facilitate an appropriate review and response, it is strongly encouraged that you consider submitting a letter along with your PRF. The federal agencies relevant to your case do see the PRF and the individual letter (if one is submitted).
    • If I have supporting documents, will they help my case?
      • Yes, in some cases. New and relevant information can be helpful to the federal agency when reviewing your case.
    • How long will it take to process my case? Can Representative Hollingsworth expedite my case?
      • Typically, any agency responds within 30 days to a congressional inquiry. However, the nature of the case will dictate the time it takes to resolve the issues. For instance, in the event of a dire need or critical health concerns or other urgent circumstances (e.g. a missing passport for an upcoming trip), we can request that the agency expedite the case.
    • Do I need to live in Indiana’s 9th Congressional District to receive assistance from Representative Hollingsworth?
      • Yes. While a private citizen may communicate with any Member of Congress on any issue, our ability to provide assistance to non-constituents is limited by House Ethics Rules and the rules governing the use of official House resources. Specifically, the law says that official resources are provided to a Member office to “support the conduct of the official and representational duties of a Member of the House of Representatives with respect to the district from which the Member is elected.” In short, a Member of Congress generally cannot perform work for an individual who resides outside the congressional district the Member represents. Representative Hollingsworth will refer any individual seeking assistance from outside the District to their own representative or senator.
    • Can your office help with a state or local issue?
      • No. As a federal office, we cannot intervene in matters under the jurisdiction of local or state governments. If it appears your problem is primarily a state or local matter, we will let you know and forward your concerns to your state or local government representatives.
    • What if my case is currently in court, or is legal in nature?
      • The ethics rules governing the House of Representatives prohibit Members of Congress from intervening in or influencing the outcome of any case under the jurisdiction of any court. In addition, we cannot offer legal advice or recommend an attorney.
    • Can I meet with someone in person to discuss my case?
      • Yes. The Casework Team is available for personal, in-office appointments, or by phone, to discuss the nature of your case.

    The below authorization form is secure. Please complete and submit online.


    Please Note:

    The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
    We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. You will be able to sign this form electronically, or you can download the Privacy Release Form here.

    Authorization Form

    In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Congressman Trey Hollingsworth authority to act on my behalf.

    Click the button below to fill out and sign the authorization form.

Digital Privacy Release Form

Stay Connected

Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter and get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.

Office Locations